[IPython-User] qtconsole heartbeat sensor during calls of compiled extensions?

Stefan shmueller2@gmail....
Sat Mar 3 14:14:31 CST 2012

Hello,

I have built a python extension that wraps a C library. When I call a
function from this library from the qtconsole, which doesn't return within 3
seconds, this triggers the heartbeat sensor:

"The kernel heartbeat has been inactive for 3.00 seconds. Do you want to
restart the kernel? You may first want to check the network connection."

I found this feature useful before when my code really crashed, but here
everything is fine, since I know that the library call will take some time.
The command continues to execute in the qtconsole and returns properly
(behind the warning window). So a workaround consists of waiting until the
function returns and then clicking the heartbeat message away with "No".

However, I was wondering if there was a mechanism to tell the heartbeat
sensor: "This is a call to a compiled extension which may take some time,
and that's expected". Or is there a way to modify the time span, or switch
it off altogether?

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Stefan