[IPython-User] ipython notebook installation from terminal

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Mar 4 08:12:36 CST 2012

On 3 March 2012 03:15, cutieontherun <waaiting@live.com> wrote:

> I was curious if anybody could provide detailed information on installing
> ipython notebook from an ubuntu terminal. I am unable to successfully find
> zmq, Tornado, and pyzmq and install it working. I know I can install it
> from
> synaptic package manager but I was just curious.

If you're already on 12.04, you can simply 'apt-get install
ipython-notebook'.

pyzmq is packaged as python-zmq (11.10 has a new enough version), and
tornado is python-tornado (but only 12.04 has a new enough version). Julian
Taylor has a PPA with the necessary things for 11.04 and 11.10:
https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/ipython/+packages

You can also install bits from PyPI using pip, if you prefer.

Thomas