[IPython-User] Embedding IPython notebook "live" into sphinx?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Mar 8 13:08:17 CST 2012

On 8 March 2012 18:39, reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am writing some documentation using Sphinx, where it is possible,
> using the correct extensions, to have matplotlib automatically render
> plots in the HTML document. Is there something similar with IPython
> Notebook? In other words, can I have an IPython Notebook rendered live
> when the documentation is generated and then have the resulting HTML
> documents show the IPython Notebook results?

IPython directive sounds like what you're looking for:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/sampledoc/ipython_directive.html

In brief, it's a Sphinx extension which lets you use blocks of IPython
code, and runs them as it builds the docs, so the final result includes the
output as well.

Thomas