[IPython-User] matplotlib integration without pylab

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus@rath....
Sun Mar 11 15:57:27 CDT 2012

Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to get --pylab style matplotlib integration (i.e., no
>> need for blocking calls to matplotlib.pyplot.show() to display figures)
>> without any of the other effects that come with --pylab? In particular,
>> I do not want my namespace to be polluted with all the pylab commands.
>
> you can prevent the namespace pollution with:
>
> --InteractiveShellApp.pylab_import_all=False
>
> at startup (or you can set the option permanently in your config
> file).

Hmm. This does the right thing, but I'm not sure how to best configure
this. What I would like is that "ipython --pylab" behaves as before
(i.e., imports everything), and that "ipython" behaves like "ipython
--pylab --InteractiveShellApp.pylab_import_all=False".

Is there a way to check the supplied command line options in the
configuration file, so that I can conditionally set configuration
options? Or is there an easier way to achieve what I want?

Best,

   -Nikolaus