[IPython-User] Updating required files for notebook - to get the --browser cmd line option

Tony Cappellini cappy2112@gmail....
Wed Mar 14 00:49:37 CDT 2012

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:26:49 +0000
From: Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [IPython-User] Updating required files for notebook - to
       get the --browser cmd line option
To: "Discussions about using IPython. http://ipython.org"
       <ipython-user@scipy.org>

>>The simplest thing to do is just to run the development version - we do
>>most development in feature branches, so master is fairly stable. If you
>>"git clone git://github.com/ipython/ipython.git", then run "python
setup.py
>>install" inside that folder, you'll get the latest version. To update,
"git
>>pull" and install again.

Thanks Thomas!
This mostly worked. That is- I got the update, installed it (had to as
sudo).

When I tried launching ipython notebook --browser=chrome ...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/ipython",
line 7, in <module>
    launch_new_instance()
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py",
line 409, in launch_new_instance
    app.start()
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py",
line 379, in start
    return self.subapp.start()
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/frontend/html/notebook/notebookapp.py",
line 481, in start
    browser = webbrowser.get(self.browser)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.2/lib/python2.7/webbrowser.py",
line 52, in get
    raise Error("could not locate runnable browser")
Error: could not locate runnable browser

This isn't really an iPython issue any more. But for those who do use
Chrome with the notebook...

(I do have chrome installed on my system.)
Is chrome "known to the system" by a slightly different name?

Thanks!