[IPython-User] Updating required files for notebook - to get the --browser cmd line option

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Wed Mar 14 03:55:17 CDT 2012

Tony Cappellini, on 2012-03-13 22:49,  wrote:
> When I tried launching ipython notebook --browser=chrome ...
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):

Try this: BROWSER=google-chrome ipython notebook

> This isn't really an iPython issue any more. But for those who do use
> Chrome with the notebook...
>
> (I do have chrome installed on my system.)
> Is chrome "known to the system" by a slightly different name?

I'm looking into what might be going on here - I seem to remember
being able to use --browser - but I'm currently seeing the same
error as you for chrome - though it works for firefox. This is
likely because python standard library webbrowser module
registers firefox itself if it can find it.

The BROWSER environment variable (as documented in the --browser
help string) works for everything, at the moment

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: