[IPython-User] PIL Display Hooks

Adam Davis addavis@fosterandpartners....
Fri Mar 16 05:39:51 CDT 2012

This also works:

imshow(numpy.asarray(im))	#im is the PIL image

See http://effbot.org/zone/pil-changes-116.htm for more on numpy <-> PIL conversion.

Regards,

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: ipython-user-bounces@scipy.org [mailto:ipython-user-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of MinRK
Sent: 16 March 2012 00:40
To: Discussions about using IPython. http://ipython.org
Subject: Re: [IPython-User] PIL Display Hooks

This should do it:

from IPython.core import display
from io import BytesIO

def display_pil_image(im):
    """displayhook function for PIL Images, rendered as PNG"""

    b = BytesIO()
    im.save(b, format='png')
    data = b.getvalue()

    ip_img = display.Image(data=data, format='png', embed=True)
    return ip_img._repr_png_()

# register display func with PNG formatter:
png_formatter = get_ipython().display_formatter.formatters['image/png']
png_formatter.for_type(Image.Image, display_pil_image)

And now the default repr of PIL Images will be to render them as PNGs.

It seems like this (or something like it -PIL's class structure is a bit funky) should perhaps be on by default.

-MinRK