[IPython-User] iPython 1.2 not restoring aliases, history, etc.

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Mar 20 19:10:34 CDT 2012

On 20 March 2012 21:56, Paul Ivanov <pivanov314@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that autorestore isn't True by default? We
> should add the ability to restore without having to change
> configs or having to pass --StoreMagic.autorestore=True when
> starting the process. I see that %store -r works for object (like
> the example above) but not for aliases.

I think it's off by default as a matter of least surprise. If it was
on, you could experiment with %store, and later find mysterious
variables kept turning up in your namespace, with no indication of
where they were from. Without the default config, I think that closing
IPython and restarting it should give you a completely blank slate.

We should have a way to selectively restore things like aliases, as
well as a manual load-everything-from-store option.

> We should also update %store's documentation either way.

Agreed. Sorry, I overlooked it when I was updating that bit of the code.

Thomas