[IPython-User] Sharing kernel but plotting separately?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Thu Mar 22 18:52:15 CDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 16:45, reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my colleagues is doing the following:
>
>    % ipython notebook --pylab=inline
>
> and I am able to connect his workspace using
>
>    % ipython console --existing
>
> But, although I can see all of his variables, I cannot plot anything in
> my own separate figure windows. If I try, then nothing shows up for
> either of us.  Is there  a way to set this up so that I can see his
> workspace but create my own plots separately (in other words, have my
> own figure windows)?

matplotlib can only have one backend active, so unless you are using the
inline backend, all plots will be in the same GUI environment.

If you are using the inline backend (as the line you posted suggests you
are), then any plots you create will show up in your window, and any plots
they create will show up in theirs.  But GUI backends, such as Qt, etc.
cannot be used in this way.

-MinRK