[IPython-User] Is it possible to join math expressions with display()

Ronan Lamy ronan.lamy@gmail....
Sun Mar 25 19:55:41 CDT 2012

Le dimanche 25 mars 2012 à 13:19 -0500, Joon Ro a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to join math expressions with display()
> in ipython notebook.
> For example, after solving the following:
>
>      x_sol = solve(x +y - 3, x)[0]
>
> If I just do display(x_sol), then notebook will print out the solution
> (-y+3). Is there any way to print it prettier, e.g. I get something like:
>
>      x = - y + 3
>
> with display()? If I just do display(x, Symbol('='), x_sol) then it will
> print them in separate lines.

I guess you're using sympy. The best way to achieve what you want is to
build a sympy object that prints the way you like. In this case, Eq(x,
x_sol) is probably what you need. You don't even need to call display(),
the notebook pretty-prints it automatically.