[IPython-User] starting a cluster with the notebook

Toby Burnett tburnett@uw....
Sat Mar 31 11:33:34 CDT 2012

Hi, I only just updated with a new install, and found the neat option from the notebook dashboard. I monitor this list and git to understand what is happening, eager to start using new features like this and somehow missed this very useful extension.

My question is about using  ssh mode.  I set
c.IPClusterStart.controller_launcher_class = 'SSH'
c.IPClusterStart.engine_launcher_class = 'SSHEngineSetLauncher', and
c.SSHEngineSetLauncher.engines to a dict of the machines I want to setup
in ipcluster_config.py.

Observations:

The controller_launcher_class has no comment in the default config file, but is described in the online doc.

Pushing the 'start' button sets the # of engines field to 24, which is the local default, but I actually started 12 on each of 3 other machines. Could this reflect the total number of engines? Setting it before starting has no effect.

Pushing 'stop' kills all the ssh and sshd processes, but not the several python and an ipcluster process on each of the machines. Is there a way to accomplish this with pushing that button? I don't see a ipcontroller process, a puzzle.

--Toby