[IPython-User] lib/guisupport.is_event_running_qt4 lying?

Peter Wang pwang@streamitive....
Sat Nov 3 23:39:26 CDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> The *frontend* runs Qt, so until you do something like `%gui qt` or `%pylab
> qt`,

OK, this explanation makes sense.  However, when I invoke IPython via:

$ QT_API=pyside ipython qtconsole --pylab

I encounter the following strangeness:

Int [1]: from IPython.lib import guisupport
Int [2]: guisupport.is_event_loop_running_qt4()
Out[2]: False

Int [3]: %gui qt
ERROR: Cannot activate multiple GUI eventloops

In [4]: guisupport.is_event_loop_running_qt4()
Out[4]: False

If I follow your example, i.e. just fire up "ipython qtconsole", and
then invoke "%gui qt", then things behave as expected.  I don't have
wx or PyQt installed on my system, so the --pylab cannot be finding
those and loading those...

Thanks,
Peter