[IPython-User] qtconsole Notes

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Nov 5 17:41:01 CST 2012

On 5 November 2012 15:53, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if team is working on some unification file format for
> different IPython interfaces, and thinking about it, maybe it wouldn't be
> hard to implement something like "qtconsole notes", as separate pane just
> like help system in qtconsole , that will allow some kind or reusable code
> concept. So user can evoke this panel, which could be just edit control,
> with some additional features - maybe bookmarks that will separate
> different snippets and perhaps some other additions.

This reminds me of an idea I've had for a while, and possibly mentioned
before. I call it 'sidecar' - a second pane on the Qt console, like the
pager, but able to display help, HTML documentation, plots, data - and, as
you suggest, store and edit code snippets. In that sense, the Qt console
effectively becomes a sort of lightweight IDE, with the focus on the shell
rather than the editor. What I envisage would be quite different from the
notebook, though.

I don't think the core team has the bandwidth to work on that at the
moment, but perhaps you'd like to lead the effort? I think the first step
would be to write an IPEP [1] to flesh out more precisely what it is we
want to create. That will probably get quite a bit of feedback as different
people have slightly different ideas about it, and it should evolve to take
account of that.

[1]
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-Enhancement-Proposals-%28IPEPs%29

Thanks,