[IPython-User] pythonnet and IPython

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 07:28:45 CST 2012

On 6 November 2012 13:10, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 November 2012 12:58, John Burkhart <jfburkhart.reg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the problem may be related to the version of Visual Studio I am
>> using to build python.NET. For the test case, I used VS2008Express.
>> However, in production, I have to use VS2012 and target the .NET 4
>> assemblies.
>

> Python 2.7 is built with VS2008, and I know the versions of MSVCRT
> correspond to VS versions. So I think you've found the problem. I'm not
> sure what you can do about it, though. Hopefully some of our Windows users
> will be able to help you.
>
> You have indeed found the issue. Python extensions must be built with the
same C compiler as Python itself. If you have to use VS2012 for your
extension, I think you'll be forced to build your own Python as well.

You may be able to find a way round this, but that's the "official" advice,
I believe, and CRT interoperability is not something I know enough about to
go against the advice of the experts.

Paul