[IPython-User] pythonnet and IPython

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 10:44:38 CST 2012

On 6 November 2012 16:16, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 November 2012 16:02, John Burkhart <jfburkhart.reg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it at all common, or at least not so unique, to be forced to build
>> your own Python, and is it something that would be reliable in a
>> operational environment?
>>

> As far as I know it's pretty unusual, especially on Windows, but not
> unheard of.
>
> Have a look at http://bugs.python.org/issue13210 for an idea of the
> changes made to release Python 3.3 using VS 2010. If you can replicate
> that, it sounds like it should be quite easy to move between 2010 and 2012.

I'd agree, it's pretty unusual. The big issue, as Thomas said, is likely to
be with the build process (the solution files, etc).

I've never encountered an extension that *required* a particular version of
VS to build, so it's always a case for me of getting the version of VS
which matches the version of Python I'm using and building extensions with
that, rather than the other way around. Having said that, Python.NET is a
very special case, and I can imagine it might well be necessary here. It's
quite ironic, actually, I just happened to look at Python.NET the other day
for completely unrelated reasons. I had thought from what I'd seen that it
had stagnated (certainly there's no sign of a Python 3 version, which
unfortunately made it useless for me). Anyway, best of luck. I don't have
much else I can offer, but if you do hit issues, post them and I'll see if
I can help.

Paul.

PS I presume IronPython is not appropriate for your requirements?