[IPython-User] pythonnet and IPython

John Burkhart jfburkhart.reg@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 15:54:56 CST 2012

Thomas, Thank you for the link. It took me some time to read through, and
it exposes my naivety to think that I believed I could simply just 'build
Python' with VS2012...

Paul, I have considered IronPython, and decided it is not the avenue I'd
prefer to pursue... However, that being said, the issue is that I want to
be able to use .NET 4 assemblies we've built in house as part of a project.
The library is large, and well built and documented, and would be a core
part of activities. Further, I plan to use numpy. IronPython is an option,
and it would work, and ultimately may be the route...

Yet somehow, my preference it so stick with CPython. Both for philosophical
and practical reasons. Philosophically, while I appreciate the port of
numpy/scipy for C# (therefore IronPython), and despite 'hearing' contrary,
it seems like the project is quite alive and actively developed, I still
find myself concerned for fragmentation.

Practically, I have concerns about the viability of IronPython and
incorporation of all the CPython 'batteries'.

We see technology change so rapidly, and languages are included. Yet, it
seems Python has such a large community and momentum. I am confident that
it will evolve and grow for some time.

Being faced with the challenge of interfacing Python and C# is providing a
a great deal of new information and exposure to 'what lies beneath'.
Interesting, indeed.

I see Christoph's suggestion now, and will hope I can make that solution
work for now!