[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Carl Smith carl.input@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 18:19:43 CST 2012

Perhaps it'd be better to redo the Last Saved notification from
scratch. For starters; it'd probably be more useful if it displayed
the amount of time since the last save, instead of the time and date
of the last save. I just want it to tell me that I haven't saved for
10 minutes, not what the time and date was 10 minutes ago.

I think toggling the header and toolbar in and out of view is poor
design too. I'd suggest getting rid of the header altogether, moving
the file name and save time info to the right hand side of the menu
bar, then having notifications, like Kernel Busy, appear as toasts at
the bottom right of the page.

Given the amount of white space between options in the menu bar, and
that some of those menus could be combined, the tool bar could
probably be incorporated into the menu bar too. A single, busy bar
would beat three almost empty ones, and free up a little more precious
real estate in the workspace.

Please don't think I'm hating on the Notebook design ~ I actually
really like it overall ~ but I think the toggling toolbars need
reviewing.

Just my tuppence.

Carl