[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 18:19:39 CST 2012

On 6 November 2012 23:50, Jon Wilson <jsw@fnal.gov> wrote:

>  It might not be too difficult to implement a switch (in user profile, or
> per-notebook, or whatever) that turns autosaving on and off.  Then those
> who like autosave have it, and those who don't like it, don't have it.

Making it configurable might be a good starting point - if it's not on by
default, we can set the quality bar slightly lower.

I don't think it's impossible to have a good autosave feature. It sounds
like the key is that the autosave shouldn't clobber the manually saved
file. Some of the other constraints:

- Bandwidth: I think we ultimately want to implement saving by transmitting
a delta, which should help here.
- Multiple instances open: This is complicated, but maybe it's possible to
save each one separately, and offer all the different versions if it
crashed.
- Keeping working directory clean: We could have an autosave folder in the
IPython data directory.

This is all solvable, but it would be a significant expenditure of time and
effort, and so far no-one's got round to doing it. We have a loose
guideline that a badly implemented feature is often worse than leaving that
feature out, so I doubt we'd merge a simple save-timer callback by default.

Perhaps it's better to focus on reducing the need for autofocus. As others
have said, Ctrl+S should work in all browsers to save the notebook. The
original post also mentions problems with long output, and I remember
discussions about better ways to deal with that - although I'm not sure
that's been translated into code yet.

Thanks,
Thomas