[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Nov 7 05:39:42 CST 2012

On 7 November 2012 09:55, Tom <tmbdev@gmail.com> wrote:

> The take-home message from your response is that iPython Notebooks are not
> going to get any form of autosave or crash protection any time soon, and
> that if there is data loss from crashes, you consider it the user's fault.

We certainly don't think it's the user's fault. Crashes happen, and the
system should make it easy to recover. I think we'd all like to see an
autosave feature - but it looks like a good one will require significant
effort, and we'd rather not deliver a poor autosave that will break user
expectations.

I know how frustrating it is when you feel developers are ignoring you -
I've been there too. But we basically agree with you about the need, we
just have a rather different estimate of the effort needed to meet that
need.

Perhaps there's a more constructive way to look at this. We have a
directory for startup scripts, bits of Python code which run as IPython
starts. Perhaps we should provide something similar for Javascript
snippets, which will be run when the Notebook UI loads. So if autosave is
really important to you, you could write a few lines of JS to set a timeout
and call the save function. @Matthias, thoughts?

Thomas