[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Nov 7 07:20:25 CST 2012

On 7 November 2012 12:43, Tom <tmbdev@gmail.com> wrote:

> (I think lack of autosave should be prio-blocker.)

In general, I don't think we'd block on a new feature. The standard for
setting a blocker is 'would we wait for this if everything else is ready
for a release?' 0.14 will improve on 0.13 even if it's released without
autosave, so it wouldn't make sense to hold it up for that.

Could you flesh out a detailed description of how an autosave might work,
perhaps as an IPEP (
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-Enhancement-Proposals-%28IPEPs%29).
It should describe, for instance:
- What gets saved
- Will it be always on, configurable, or 'smart'?
- Where does it get saved? I don't like extra files cluttering up my
working directory.
- What happens if I have the same notebook open in two tabs? Or two
computers talking to the same server?
- Notebooks needn't be stored as files, they could be blobs in a database -
how will this be abstracted away from the frontend?
- Will autosave files be automatically removed, and if so, when?
- How is a crash detected, and what UI presents the autosaves to the user?

Looking at this differently, I wonder if we could use the localStorage
Javascript APIs to do autosaves client-side? I suspect that idea has its
share of difficulties, but perhaps it's worth exploring.

Thanks,
Thomas