[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Tom tmbdev@gmail....
Wed Nov 7 10:33:46 CST 2012

"In general, I don't think we'd block on a new feature. The standard for
setting a blocker is 'would we wait for this if everything else is ready
for a release?'"

Yes, I think bullet-proof crash data recovery is really that important for
some use cases.

"Could you flesh out a detailed description of how an autosave might work,
... It should describe, for instance:"

It doesn't matter to me as long as user input is on disk somewhere, in some
format. For example, the server could simply log the text of all the cells
that are sent for execution to a textual log file, even a single global log
file.  Recovery would then be a few minutes of cut-and-paste, but that
beats starting from scratch.

(My preference is implementing Emacs autosave semantics; I tried explaining
how that works in an earlier message.)

"Looking at this differently, I wonder if we could use the localStorage
Javascript APIs to do autosaves client-side?"

That's what I have hacked up (JavaScript injection plus local storage).
It's a workaround I can use myself, but I don't think it's a good solution
for the project.

Tom