[IPython-User] py2tex magic

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Nov 7 11:52:27 CST 2012

On 7 November 2012 17:35, Johan Beke <johanbeke@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I finally finished my magic function to provide python input to tex
> conversion. I uploaded it at https://gist.github.com/4032651
> Feel free to contribute.
>
> What is possible for now:
> - single and multi line magic functions can be displayed (with or without
> result)
> - numerical output format can be set as a C prinft like format string
> - support for unum unit package
> - conversion of variable names with the greek letters (rules: a_b_c
> everything after first _ is subscript. Next _ are converted to , remaining
> parts are converted to greek letters)

Cool! Bonus points for the innovative use of AST. Could you whip up an
example notebook showing it in action?

For now, the file must be placed in the startup direction. Anyone willing
> to convert it to an extension?
> Can I set a link somewhere in the wiki to make this magic functions
> available to users not in the list?

Making an extension will be really easy. You just need to put the last
couple of lines inside a load_ipython_extension function. See the docs:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html#writing-extensions

You're welcome to add it to the extensions index:
http://wiki.ipython.org/Extensions_Index

Thanks,
Thomas

P.S. LatexVisitor is up there with EscapedTransformer for class names to
take out of context.