[IPython-User] Notebook cells don't execute in Windows

David Hume djhume@gmail....
Wed Nov 7 23:09:23 CST 2012

Hi all,  thanks very much for the feedback so far.

My colleagues (who's computers run in our corporate Windows environment)
have had no notebook access for the best part of a week (poor windows
users...)

So today, in frustration (and out of sympathy on my part) we started a trial
and error procedure of removing processes, one by one, from one of the
windows machines in question.

Our procedure was this:

while notebook does not return an output:
    remove a process (being careful to not kill any system processes)
    close/kill any open iPython and the web browser sessions (note:
restarting the kernel was not enough)
    re-run iPython notebook with new web browser session
    Shift enter in a code cell

Doing this we have managed to get the windows notebook back up and running!

We just haven't quite nailed down the exact process which is causing this
(as we did this in batches to save time....)

Oddly, if we reboot the machine and quickly open the iPython notebook we can
obtain a working notebook.  If we restart the kernel a few minutes (maybe
seconds?) later the notebook output stops.

I think we almost have this nailed.

I'll post here again tomorrow, once we track the exact rogue process/program
that is causing this mischief.

cheers
Dave Hume
Wellington, NZ.