[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Nov 8 12:19:19 CST 2012

sorry I have been so busy and haven't been able to participate much in this
discussion.  A few points...

* IPython doesn't really have many "official policies"  We evolve by
informal consensus.
* IPython is developed primarily by volunteers.  It we don't respond to
emails, or fix bugs or develop new features as fast as you want, it is not
because we don't care (it actually pains us!).  It is because our day jobs
or personal lives have greater priority.  Working on open source software
(while extremely rewarding and fun!) involves extraordinary personal
sacrifice - to our relationships, to our day jobs, to our physical and
mental health, and to our finances.  Our developers are spectacular
individuals for making these sacrifices - please treat them as such.
* Significant data loss is unacceptable and we are committed to fixing the
IPython Notebook so this doesn't happen.
* We have *not* committed to fixing that in any particular manner and there
are many ideas on the table currently.
* There are other issues with our saving model currently (full notebook is
sent to the server every time, renames can overwrite notebooks, etc.).  We
need to tackle all of these things together and that slows us down.
* Individuals have the power to change how fast this work gets done: 1)
donate money to the project and tell us what you want us to work on 2) dig
into the project and help us out.  But, because the save issues are
complex, don't expect to spend an afternoon putting a hack together and
have that merged into the project right away.

Cheers,

Brian

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 November 2012 16:52, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What would be your definition of an interface in this instance? I have
>> never used this, but by looking at your write-up, it seems to me that
>> pretty much everything is there. Did you mean a piece of js code, so that
>> you could browse the history in a, well, browser? Or something is Qt/Gtk?
>

> It could really be whatever the person implementing it wants to build. A
> few possibilities:
>
> - A simple command-line interface to e.g. dump the last session to a text
> file. This would probably be easy to code and very valuable.
> - A more interactive terminal-based interface.
> - A GUI application. Qt is preferable because we already have the Qt
> console, but if someone really wants to do it in Gtk, they could.
> - An HTML interface that could be offered through the notebook server.
>
> These aren't mutually exclusive - if there's enough interest, we could
> have more than one.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Brian E. Granger