[IPython-User] py2tex magic

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Nov 8 12:52:05 CST 2012

On 8 November 2012 18:19, Johan Beke <johanbeke@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I created an example notebook which can be found here<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.github.com/raw/4040388/ee224a8e0875fad241cea4492b4408f1f72a1d8d/Example_py2tex.ipynb>.
> I update the py2tex to be loadable as an extension.  I hope that this
> extension will be useful.

Great, feel free to add it to the list: wiki.ipython.org/Extensions_Index

> @Thomas : credit for the AST idea goes to a stackoverflow member (see my
> code and the license details). That part of the code, which I modified is,
> has therefor another license.

Hmm, technically I'm not sure your licensing works. CC-BY-SA allows
adaptations to be under the same license or a compatible license, and CC
have yet to declare any non-CC licenses compatible (
http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses). CC licenses aren't designed
for code, though, and nobody's really going to sue you over using that
class.

More importantly, most of the scientific Python ecosystem uses permissive
licenses, and we encourage people to contribute back with permissive
licenses too. In this case, that would mean contacting the Stackoverflow
poster to get an appropriate license (such as BSD or MIT). But the choice
is, of course, yours.

Thanks,
Thomas