[IPython-User] Notebook cells don't execute in Windows

David Hume djhume@gmail....
Thu Nov 8 17:26:21 CST 2012

Hi everyone,

I think we have cracked this.  Hopefully for good.   And yes your bets were
on the money - thank you.

We have identified the problem (as suspected) as an anti-virus program
called Sophos.

But...

after killing all Sophos processes they magically, (like a virus or perhaps
Zombie), reappear after 10-30 seconds, or so.   We currently can't uninstall
the software as, although we have admin rights, we are not (yet..) in the
Zombie killer "Sophos Admin group"....

In the mean time, this window of time while Sophos is temporarily dead,
allows us to sneak in and get a working notebook session up and running.  We
first kill all Sophos processes, then we run the ipython notebook.   This
seems to work with no problems (yet).

I've yet to talk with our IT person about this,  so in the mean time, we
have created the following simple, rather crude, but effective, zombie
killing batch file:

taskkill /f /im ManagementAgentNT.exe
taskkill /f /im RouterNT.exe
taskkill /f /im swc_service.exe
taskkill /f /im swi_service.exe
C:\Python27\Scripts\ipython.exe notebook --pylab

I'll post again if we continue to have any issues.

We have yet to try Qt console, if we do, I'll post results here.

Thanks everyone, and thanks to iPython!

cheers
Dave Hume
Wellington, NZ