[IPython-User] Notebook cells don't execute in Windows

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Nov 8 18:52:44 CST 2012

Ouch, I hate crap like this.

I am sorry you have had to deal with this, hopefully you can work with your
IT folks to come up with a better solution.  Glad you figured it out.

Cheers,

Brian

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM, David Hume <djhume@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think we have cracked this.  Hopefully for good.   And yes your bets were
> on the money - thank you.
>
> We have identified the problem (as suspected) as an anti-virus program
> called Sophos.
>
> But...
>
> after killing all Sophos processes they magically, (like a virus or perhaps
> Zombie), reappear after 10-30 seconds, or so.   We currently can't
> uninstall
> the software as, although we have admin rights, we are not (yet..) in the
> Zombie killer "Sophos Admin group"....
>
> In the mean time, this window of time while Sophos is temporarily dead,
> allows us to sneak in and get a working notebook session up and running.
>  We
> first kill all Sophos processes, then we run the ipython notebook.   This
> seems to work with no problems (yet).
>
> I've yet to talk with our IT person about this,  so in the mean time, we
> have created the following simple, rather crude, but effective, zombie
> killing batch file:
>
> taskkill /f /im ManagementAgentNT.exe
> taskkill /f /im RouterNT.exe
> taskkill /f /im swc_service.exe
> taskkill /f /im swi_service.exe
> C:\Python27\Scripts\ipython.exe notebook --pylab
>
> I'll post again if we continue to have any issues.
>
> We have yet to try Qt console, if we do, I'll post results here.
>
> Thanks everyone, and thanks to iPython!
>
> cheers
> Dave Hume
> Wellington, NZ