[IPython-User] IPython Notebook Crashing

Raju Joseph raju.s.joseph@gmail....
Fri Nov 16 02:47:01 CST 2012

Hi All,

Have very recently started using IPython. I have been mostly been dabbling
with it on the command line.

I started using the HTML notebook today. But unfortunately it is crashing
on me.

When i start off the note book with the command: "ipython notebook --pylab
inline" the page loads up fine on my chrome.

But when i click on "New Notebook", a couple of issues crop up:
1) Terminal shows the message: "ImportError: No module named zmq.ipkernel"

2)a)  The html notebook later stops working and pops up the following
message:
"The kernel has died, would you like to restart it? If you do not restart
the kernel, you will be able to save the notebook, but running code will
not work until the notebook is reopened."

2)b) Simultaneously, the Terminal throws up the following message:
"[NotebookApp] Kernel 3a1ff8b7-c75f-4260-8a0a-fbbdd064c779 failed to
respond to heartbeat"

I do recall having installed zeromq.
If i go into my python shell and type in "import zmq", there are no issues.
Hence not sure where exactly the problem lies. Couldn't find a similar
discussion anywhere else, hence am writing in.

The following link covers all the messages coming up after i start off the
notebook: http://pastebin.com/yXke2wJZ

I am using a Mac with the OS as Mountain Lion
Browser: Google Chrome
My Python version is 2.7 and IPython version is 0.13.1 (Upgraded to 0.13.1
today from 0.10.2)

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Have been having a lot of fun on the IPython command line version...and
can't wait to start off on the HTML version.

--
--raju