[IPython-User] Do IPython notebook from ANY computer?

Lasse Nørfeldt lasse@norfeldt...
Sun Nov 18 07:50:39 CST 2012

Update on the pogoplug experiment:

   - Got the pogoplug hacked to run Arch Linux
   - Got the ipython notebook up and running on the network - any computer
   on the network could access it, even mobiles could through 3G (through they
   had some issues in the cells)

Problems that occurred and got solved along the way:

   - The tuturial on the web had some dead links to port the arch linux -
   SOLUTION: googled around and found an updated tutorial
   - Installed python >3 via pacman on the arch linux since it is default -
   SOLUTION: removed all python installs and used the "*pacman -S python2
   ipython2 python2-<package_name>*" this meant that in order to initiate
   the notebook we had to run *"ipython2 notebook --profile nbserver*"
   - The notebook started on a wrong ip address (127.##..) which meant we
   couldn't see it - SOLUTION: changed the address in the notebook profile to
   192.168.#.###
   - Changing the notebook profile was done via dropbox. Opened a config
   file and changed the settings and got it onto the arch linux by the
   command: *"wget https:link.to.config/file.py*". Finding the directory on
   the arch was a bit tricky until we discovered the *"ipython2
locate" *command.
   It would be great if there existed some easy way to edit the profile within
   a ipython session.??

Next thing to do:

   - Figure out how to install modules from within the notebook onto the
   arch linux. Ex. getting openCV installed without using an ssh connection I
   would imagine something like executing *%magicCommand pacman -S opencv*
   - Create a URL address to access the notebook from an remote internet
   connection.
   - Get dropbox on the arch linux so that my scripts are safe in case
   my hard-drive fails or get stolen.
   - Figure out howto properly shut it down in case I need to take the
   power off and move it around (such things happens :-) )

I think we got a long way and really close to what I wanted - in just a
day. My good friend (the expert) and I (the amateur with big needs) need to
find some time (often the most difficult task in such projects) to finish
and polish it.

Yours Sincerely / Venlig hilsen
Lasse Nørfeldt
*