[IPython-User] Do IPython notebook from ANY computer?

Sun Nov 18 08:43:40 CST 2012

Le 18 nov. 2012 à 14:50, Lasse Nørfeldt a écrit :

> Update on the pogoplug experiment:
> 	• Got the pogoplug hacked to run Arch Linux
> 	• Got the ipython notebook up and running on the network - any computer on the network could access it, even mobiles could through 3G (through they had some issues in the cells)
> Problems that occurred and got solved along the way:
> 	• The tuturial on the web had some dead links to port the arch linux - SOLUTION: googled around and found an updated tutorial
> 	• Installed python >3 via pacman on the arch linux since it is default - SOLUTION: removed all python installs and used the "pacman -S python2 ipython2 python2-<package_name>" this meant that in order to initiate the notebook we had to run "ipython2 notebook --profile observer"
> 	• The notebook started on a wrong ip address (127.##..) which meant we couldn't see it - SOLUTION: changed the address in the notebook profile to 192.168.#.###

'Wrong' is relative. We start with not listening on external IP adress for security reason.
Hope you made it use https and password protected ! :-)

> 	• Changing the notebook profile was done via dropbox. Opened a config file and changed the settings and got it onto the arch linux by the command: "wget https:link.to.config/file.py". Finding the directory on the arch was a bit tricky until we discovered the "ipython2 locate" command. It would be great if there existed some easy way to edit the profile within a ipython session.??

A hack would be to use %load `profilefile` to set the next prompt as the `profilefile`
the use the `%%file profilefile` cell magic to re-write it on disk after editing.

> Next thing to do:
> 	• Figure out how to install modules from within the notebook onto the arch linux. Ex. getting openCV installed without using an ssh connection I would imagine something like executing %magicCommand pacman -S opencv

`! command` ? or `%%bash` magic ? You don't have stdin (yet) in notebook so sudo will not be able to ask for pwd.
Sudo should have an option to give the password from command line, but be carefull to disable history before.

> 	• Create a URL address to access the notebook from an remote internet connection.
> 	• Get dropbox on the arch linux so that my scripts are safe in case my hard-drive fails or get stolen.
> 	• Figure out howto properly shut it down in case I need to take the power off and move it around (such things happens :-) )
> I think we got a long way and really close to what I wanted - in just a day. My good friend (the expert) and I (the amateur with big needs) need to find some time (often the most difficult task in such projects) to finish and polish it.

I think this will need IPython patches.

Happy you got it to work.
--
Matthias