[IPython-User] tab completion not working for my libraries

David Warde-Farley d.warde.farley@gmail....
Fri Nov 23 00:04:29 CST 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com>wrote:

> First I thought it has something to do with my libraries not being in
> my PYTHONPATH yet, but after adding, ipython still does not
> tab-complete my own libraries, even so it finds them alright.
>
> Interestingly this works fine on my Macbook, the problem occurs on our
> CentOS linux server, running EPD 7.3-1. (Same as on the Macbook).
>
> So what really controls if a library can be tab-completed?

Just to be sure, have you imported these libraries in the current IPython
session? Tab completion doesn't work until an object actually exists (which
is basically a limitation of Python being a dynamic language), so if the
import statement hasn't been executed, it won't work.

David