[IPython-User] Hide code cells in the notebook

Mark Starnes mark.starnes@fttech.co...
Mon Nov 26 11:23:35 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 01:57:45PM +0000, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> I just came across this blog post - the author has a bit of Python, which
> produces a bit of HTML+Javascript, that can interactively hide/show the code
> parts of a notebook:
>
> http://ganwellresource.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/
> hide-ipython-notebook-input-boxes.html
>
> Thomas

First, a big thank-you to everyone who has
provided to IPython over the years.  I've been
using it since college and continue to use it at
work:  the notebook has changed the way I work.
I think it's wonderful.

The hiding of code cells was something I am
interested in so when I saw Thomas' comment,
I was overjoyed.  I followed it, installed the
code and started exploring Pandas.  I toggled
my input and saved the document before messing
around more.

The toggled output document, when saved, saved
*without* the original code (now hidden), without
out (plots, output etc) but with markdown text.
On reloading, all the original code and plots etc
were lost.

So, beware!  I can replicate this behaviour in
seconds with the following process:

In [1]: from pretty import *
        html_settings()
Out[1]: Toggle Input
In [2]: print 'Dont save with input toggled!'

Run all cells, check the screen output, hit `Toggle Input',
then save the document.  Exit, reload.

Now I find my archive isn't working either.  :(
This behaviour is probably obvious to most.  Not
me, unfortunately.

Take care!

Best regards,

Mark.