[IPython-User] questions regarding git install

Wed Nov 28 11:17:58 CST 2012

Le 28 nov. 2012 à 17:58, Dennis Daniels a écrit :

> Greetings
>
> ipython .13 is already installed on my Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu Precise)machine, will the git clone install properly or do I have to uninstall first?
>
> I'm going to guess that uninstalling is recommended but the docs make no mention of this. And, I should probably uninstall all of the repository info.
>
> What say you?

I think uninstalling would be wiser as the 'egg' for python 3 is difficult.

> Further, just to be clear, the git clone will also include all the needful like qtconsole, notebook, tornado etc. Yes?

qtconsole / notebook yes.

Tornado is a separate package that will not be clone and might have to be install separately.

Some dependencies for qtconsole/notebook can't be pip'ed or easy_installed (qt/zmq) so you'll have to install them first.
But if 0.13' work, we don't have more dependencies, so you should be set.

> And, are there any special switches to make sure I'm getting __ipython for python3x__  NOT version of ipython for python 2.x?

The 'egg' does not work for python 3.x so (I think) you will have to `setup.py install` for each change you make to the source code.
I'm not aware of any already existing tool to do that even if they should exist for sure.

ipython for python 3 is usually installed as ipython3 IIRC so it's should be a good sign of wether it is well installed.

--
Matthias