[IPython-User] http://nbviewer.ipython.org/

Christoph Deil deil.christoph@googlemail....
Wed Nov 28 14:44:59 CST 2012

Hi Dennis!

On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Dennis Daniels <dennisgdaniels@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just found out about http://nbviewer.ipython.org/
>
> It says I can browse notebooks but the search requires a URL or gist number... makes it kind of hard to browse if I don't know what is inside...
>
> Searches for things like
> -tutorial
> -lesson
> -how to
> -for loops
> -scipy
> failed ...
>
> I love the idea of sharing the NBs but... the site doesn't offer much in the way for casual users to see the NB coolness without knowing exactly where NBs are located.
>

> Further, it says I can upload my own NBs ... but I don't see an upload option.

You can simply paste any URL or gist number of a notebook file into the field that says "Enter a gist number or URL".
I think they then quickly produce an html version in the background if no-one had requested the same URL before.

This wasn't obvious to me either when I first discovered the nbviewer site, maybe it can be mentioned there with one or two sentences how it works?

> Are there plans for making the http://nbviewer.ipython.org/ a little more like a library and less like a lock box(insert key/url here)?

That would be awesome, but I imagine hard to do fully automatic unless users can categorise or give titles to their notebooks.