[IPython-User] NameError exception handling during automagic on

Saravanan Shanmugham sarvilive@gmail....
Thu Nov 29 11:51:31 CST 2012

I am using an embedded ipython shell environnment for a Test Development
and Execution platform that I am developing.

This includes a set of custom magic commands implemented.

automagic is on.

I would like to change or see a more cleaner error message when I try a
non-existent magic command without a %

Today I get the following
sarvi@cnh-nehalem-103|5> asasdasd
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
/ws/sarvi-sjc/cisco-vm-tools/scripts/tvt in <module>()
----> 1 asasdasd

NameError: name 'asasdasd' is not defined

sarvi@cnh-nehalem-103|6>

I want this custom ipython shell to generate a more clean error message
without the traceback just like if I had done the following

sarvi@cnh-nehalem-103|6> %asasdasd
ERROR: Magic function `asasdasd` not found.
sarvi@cnh-nehalem-103|7>

This mode/capability may not be perfect for python debugging but would be
great as general purpose shell. When I would like to switch between the
existing and the new mode though a magic command toggle when needed.

How can I achieve that?

Thanks,
Sarvi