[IPython-User] creating new notebooks from existing ones: best practices/advice?

Thu Nov 29 13:42:50 CST 2012

Le 29 nov. 2012 à 19:57, Dennis Daniels a écrit :

> Greetings
> I would like to 'tear out' pieces of a notebook to create new notebooks.
>
> I've tried copying and pasting but the paste came through as essentially simple text (formatted, not raw), the formatting of cell types i.e. raw/code etc. was not preserved.
>
> I tried copying the notebook(it is large) but deleting cells en masse was troublesome at best.
>
> How best to tear out pieces from a large notebook to create smaller ones?
>
> I made a video of my attempts:
> http://youtu.be/rYvt0wEpfqk

Hi,

I think "open a copy" is the right way to do it.

When you are "selecting" you are selecting the rendered html of the notebook, and the delete key will not delete the cell as selecting google result and pressing delete would not delete them.

The Edit > delete menu does delete the current selected cell in which your cursor is, the one with the grey border around.
There is no way to apply an action on multiple cell yet.

As for the shortcut for delete, I can confirm that it is on the Shortcut List  available in the notebook Help.
It is true that the list is long and maybe we should add separator  to distinguish a few categories and ease readability.
--
Matthias