[IPython-User] Ctrl-C in debug mode hangs QtConsole

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld@gmail....
Tue Oct 2 06:50:14 CDT 2012

As stated in the subject, when in ipdb (after running %debug) in the QtConsole
pressing Ctrl-C will hang the QtConsole with the only way of recovering to
restart the kernel.

By hang I mean that although you can type letters pressing enter doesn't do
anything so there is no way of exiting debug mode and all your work is lost. It
does respond to Ctrl-. though.

Is anyone else seeing this?

This issue is particularly annoying because in debug mode there is no command
history or tab-completion so if you want to re-execute a previous command
you have to either retype it or copy & paste it. Unfortunately the usual method
of copying and pasting in Windows is highlighting the code and pressing...
Ctrl-C.

It is possible to copy the code by right-clicking and selecting copy
from the context menu, but I find that somewhat cumbersome and natural habits
have led me more than once to press Ctrl-C before I could stop myself.

let me know if this is an actual problem that others can reproduce I'll open an
issue so that it can be kept in mind.

In [1]: print IPython.sys_info()
{'commit_hash': '3066da7',
 'commit_source': 'repository',
 'default_encoding': 'cp1252',
 'ipython_path': 'c:\\dev\\code\\ipython\\IPython',
 'ipython_version': '0.14.dev',
 'os_name': 'nt',
 'platform': 'Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1',
 'sys_executable': 'C:\\dev\\bin\\Python27\\pythonw.exe',
 'sys_platform': 'win32',
 'sys_version': '2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)]'}

Regards,
Dave