[IPython-User] Links between IPython notebooks

Tue Oct 2 15:30:37 CDT 2012

Le 30 sept. 2012 à 22:49, Michael Hadmack a écrit :

> Is it possible to link one IPython notebook to another with a
> hyperlink in a Markdown cell? If I try:
>
> Link to [Notebook 2](files/notebook2.ipynb)
>
> or
>
> Link to <a href="files/notebook2.ipynb">Notebook 2</a>
>
> A new tab is opened with raw unformatted contents of the ipynb file.
> Is there a way to get IPython to open another notebook for use in a
> new tab via a hyperlink?

You could make it in javascript, though it is not obvious,
you would have to ask the server for the list of notebooks, to get the current URL based on the name, then open this url i a new tab.
All in JS.

You will probably be block by browser anti-pop-up.

General issue are :
	* notebook URL change on every startup.
	* we haven't found a good way to keep it unique.
	* opening same notebook several time can lead to 'inconsistencies' between the difference pages.

3rd will be solved with collaboration mode.

What could be done, is a handle /notebook_by_name/<notebook_name> that raises a 302 to the current notebook url.
It would then allow for soft linking of notebook. BUt I guess So will have to write a PR for that.

Just be informed that URL for notebook and notebook server have high chances to change in a near future.

But YES, we would love URL for notebook and even the ability to have anchors for a specific worksheet and cell in one notebook.
(yes notebooks have worksheets too)
--
Matthias