[IPython-User] Ctrl-C in debug mode hangs QtConsole

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Oct 2 15:54:11 CDT 2012

On 2 October 2012 12:50, Dave Hirschfeld <dave.hirschfeld@gmail.com> wrote:
> As stated in the subject, when in ipdb (after running %debug) in the QtConsole
> pressing Ctrl-C will hang the QtConsole with the only way of recovering to
> restart the kernel.

On Linux, I get a very long traceback ending in pyzmq internals, and
it returns to the IPython prompt (exiting the debugger).

We try to be smart about Ctrl-C: it means copy in GUIs, but interrupt
in terminal programs - and the Qt console is a bit of both. It copies
while you're editing, and interrupts while something is being
executed. The trouble is that, from IPython's point of view, the
debugger is something being executed, so Ctrl-C should interrupt it.
Maybe we could be return it to 'copy' when the user is prompted for
input, but we may also want it to break out of an infinite loop of
inputs.

Thomas