[IPython-User] Doctest checker in IPython notebook

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin@gmail....
Thu Oct 11 14:40:30 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Catherine,
>
> Hi, this looks really great!  We would love to work with you to make
> this an actual IPython library or extension.  If you are interested in
> working with us, let's use this thread to discuss where you see this
> heading and the best way to incorporate it into the project.  Of
> course, feel free to continue to work on this on your own as well.

Wow, thanks!  Sure!  I mean, I didn't really contribute much beyond
the concept - the implementation is really primitive (ripping apart
doctest's printed output and parsing its strings).  If it were going
to become a real part of IPython, it should probably be a little more
sophisticated - maybe creating a custom "out" function to pass to
``DocTestRunner.run`` so it wouldn't be so fragile, and so it could
accept some arguments/flags.  Or something like that.  This is my
first time looking inside doctest.py and I'm just trying to sound
smart.  :)

I'd also be interested in ideas about how it can look more
seamless/transparent to use - can the notebook somehow be set up to
automatically try to run it against all class and function definitions
found in any of its cells?  Then again, maybe it shouldn't be too
transparent - maybe it's good to let students see a little of testing
in action and that testing is awesome but not magic (though it could
be %magic).

--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com