[IPython-User] Doctest checker in IPython notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Oct 11 22:18:48 CDT 2012

Just thinking out loud...

It might be nice to have a button that will cause a single cell to be
doctested.  That button could grab the Python code of the cell and
then wrap that code in the needed calls to doctest it and produce the
HTML output.

code_string -> doctest_to_html(code_string) would get sent to kernel

The output of that cell would then be send back and you could see the
doctest results for that cell.  I think the main part of this would be
to write the doctest_to_html function that doctests the code string in
the ipython namespace.  I don't know anything about the doctest
internals, but this should not be difficult.

This mode has the advantage that you can doctest any code without
additional calls like test(foo).  But it also mixes the doctest
results with the actual notebook code.  There are other ways we could
do the UI once we have the doctest_to_html function.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian E. Granger