[IPython-User] May be old topic: just getting started with ipython notebook, trouble with tables.

Thomas Porter tom.x.porter@gmail....
Fri Oct 12 12:26:02 CDT 2012

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who contributes to this project.
I loved ipython when it was just an enhanced shell, and the notebook
functionality is just amazing!  I am using it to keep class notes for an
online class I'm taking which uses python as the teaching language and it
really helps.

I have also been looking at the nbconvert project as well, and have some
questions coming out of that experience:

It looks like I can only get tables in a markdown cell by embedding actual
raw HTML for a table.  While this displays OK, nbconvert cannot display it
properly, so I looked for an alternative by trying to use the core.display
classes like so:

from IPython.core.display import Latex
Latex(r"""[some latex markup]""")

This appears to work for equations and such, but does not appear to work
for a tabular environment with code such as:

\begin{tabular}{ l c r }

1 & 2 & 3 \\

4 & 5 & 6 \\

7 & 8 & 9 \\

\end{tabular}

All  I get is an outline box containing the LaTeX markup itself.

Any corrections, suggestions, or workarounds would be welcome.

Tom Porter

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers
come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of
ideas that could provoke such a question."