[IPython-User] syntax for specifying browser in OS X 10.6.8, ipython 0.13

George Nurser gnurser@gmail....
Fri Oct 12 11:04:52 CDT 2012

Hi,

Ipython seems to work slightly more smoothly with Google Chrome rather than
Safari 5.1.7 for me, ( e.g. windows open in tabs, not separately) so I'd
like to call the notebook, specifying Google Chrome using the --browser
option.

I'm probably being dim, but the required syntax isn't obvious to me.
I've tried e.g.

python notebook --pylab inline --browser Chrome
ipython notebook --pylab inline --browser 'Google Chrome'
ipython notebook --pylab inline --browser Google\ Chrome
python notebook --pylab inline --browser /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app
python notebook --pylab inline --browser /Applications/Google\
Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome

All fail with
'No web browser found: could not locate runnable browser.'

However, specifying Safari does seem to work:
python notebook --pylab inline --browser Safari

--George Nurser