[IPython-User] May be old topic: just getting started with ipython notebook, trouble with tables.

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Oct 12 15:35:58 CDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Thomas Porter <tom.x.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, I want to congratulate everyone who contributes to this project.
> I loved ipython when it was just an enhanced shell, and the notebook
> functionality is just amazing!  I am using it to keep class notes for an
> online class I'm taking which uses python as the teaching language and it
> really helps.

Great!

> I have also been looking at the nbconvert project as well, and have some
> questions coming out of that experience:
>
> It looks like I can only get tables in a markdown cell by embedding actual
> raw HTML for a table.  While this displays OK, nbconvert cannot display it
> properly, so I looked for an alternative by trying to use the core.display
> classes like so:
>
> from IPython.core.display import Latex
> Latex(r"""[some latex markup]""")
>

> This appears to work for equations and such, but does not appear to work for
> a tabular environment with code such as:
>
> \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
>
> 1 & 2 & 3 \\
>
> 4 & 5 & 6 \\
>
> 7 & 8 & 9 \\
>
> \end{tabular}
>

> All  I get is an outline box containing the LaTeX markup itself.

This is a known bug and we have a pull request under review to fix the
issue.  Should be merged soon.

Cheers,

Brian

> Any corrections, suggestions, or workarounds would be welcome.
>

> Tom Porter
>

> "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
> Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers
> come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas
> that could provoke such a question."

Brian E. Granger