[IPython-User] Tips to speed up notebook?

David Warde-Farley wardefar@iro.umontreal...
Sun Oct 14 23:37:36 CDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM, G B <g.c.b.at.work@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting further along with my first major iPython notebook project.  I've been using it for designing and documenting an engineering project— the combination of Python, sympy, inline matplotlib, and text editing make it a fantastic tool for documenting while designing.
>
> Here's the problem I'm having: it's grinding to a halt.  The python calculation is still sufficiently fast, but the notebook editing has become painfully slow— to the point that I type a line in a cell and then work on something else while the characters type in one at a time.  Just typing pegs my CPU.  I'm guessing it's because the notebook is now over 20 printed pages and the HTML/Javascript layout engine just has too much to do.
>
> I'm using Safari, and a 0.14 dev version of the source from a couple months back.

A quick first pass which may help a bit is to try Chrome. Recent
versions of Safari are not what I'd call lightweight (possibly an
Apple strategy to sell more computers), and I find Chrome much
snappier across the board.

David