[IPython-User] Tips to speed up notebook?

Mon Oct 15 01:12:58 CDT 2012

Le 15 oct. 2012 à 06:37, David Warde-Farley a écrit :

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM, G B <g.c.b.at.work@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting further along with my first major iPython notebook project.  I've been using it for designing and documenting an engineering project— the combination of Python, sympy, inline matplotlib, and text editing make it a fantastic tool for documenting while designing.
>>
>> Here's the problem I'm having: it's grinding to a halt.  The python calculation is still sufficiently fast, but the notebook editing has become painfully slow— to the point that I type a line in a cell and then work on something else while the characters type in one at a time.  Just typing pegs my CPU.  I'm guessing it's because the notebook is now over 20 printed pages and the HTML/Javascript layout engine just has too much to do.
>>
>> I'm using Safari, and a 0.14 dev version of the source from a couple months back.
>
> A quick first pass which may help a bit is to try Chrome. Recent
> versions of Safari are not what I'd call lightweight (possibly an
> Apple strategy to sell more computers), and I find Chrome much
> snappier across the board.
>
> David
Hi,

We are aware of this issue.
And we want in the long run to have automatic loading/unloading of cells that are far up/down when scrolling.
It should help.

We are also working on worksheet.

Can you split your work in separate notebooks ?
Is so it shouldn't be difficult to have an external program that append all of them together.

I can't give you the exact incantation right now, but in JS console you can try :

var cells = IPython.notebook.get_Cells()
$(cells.slice(1,18)).hide()  // might need a for loop.

this should hide the first 18th cells.
--
Matthias