[IPython-User] IPython in windows

Carlos Córdoba ccordoba12@gmail....
Mon Oct 15 15:05:45 CDT 2012

Thomas, you can see from the first lines of reporter's error message:

[NotebookApp] Using existing profile dir:
u'C:\\Users\\\u039c\u0391\u0399\u03a1\
u0397\\.ipython\\profile_default'

that his trouble comes from the fact his home dir is non-ascii
(something that unfortunately Windows allows). We had to suffer this
situation in Spyder until we solved it six months ago.

Our solution was to add a couple of helper functions to deal with
strings that come from the filesystem and use them to enconde/decode
users home dir. You can find them here, in case you need them:

http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/source/browse/spyderlib/utils/encoding.py#31

Cheers,
Carlos