[IPython-User] [IPython-dev] Last call for 0.13.1

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Tue Oct 16 13:53:39 CDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER
> > <bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> would

> entirely.

> haven't

> >> I've always known the extension as sympyprinting.

> >> Hum; I have no idea why `%load_ext module` works, or if it should print
> >> warning when there is no extension available with a module.
> >> Let's say it's a feature, so that for modules that have extension
> bundled
> >> in it you don't have to remember the name of the extension.
> >

> > I believe this is the way extensions work:
> >
> > %load_ext [module]
> >
> > which imports [module], then *if module.load_ipython_extension is
> defined*,
> > calls `module.load_ipython_extension(shell)`.  The IPython extensions
> dir is
> > just added to sys.path.  In this way, any module can be an IPython
> > extension.  We could definitely add a message in cases where
> > `load_ipython_extension` is not defined, which would suggest that it may
> not
> > actually be an extension (not necessarily the case).
>
> So if we wanted to make %load_ext sympy work, what should we do? Just
> define load_ipython_extension in __init__.py?

Yes, that should do it.  Even `from sympy.interactive.ipythonprinting
import load_ipython_extension` ought to work.

>  Is there a way to do it
> so that load_ipython_extension doesn't get imported with "from sympy
> import *"?

I think the only way to do this is to use an explicit `__all__` list of
names.