[IPython-User] [IPython-dev] Last call for 0.13.1

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Oct 17 04:48:04 CDT 2012

On 16 October 2012 19:38, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> which imports [module], then *if module.load_ipython_extension is defined*,
> calls `module.load_ipython_extension(shell)`.  The IPython extensions dir is
> just added to sys.path.  In this way, any module can be an IPython
> extension.  We could definitely add a message in cases where
> `load_ipython_extension` is not defined, which would suggest that it may not
> actually be an extension (not necessarily the case).
>
> But someone who is more familiar with the extension machinery can correct
> me.

Yes, that's all correct. I agree that we should have a message, and
I've just added it to this extension-related PR:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2462

For now, I've gone for the wording "The foo module is not an IPython
extension." I think we should just require that IPython extensions
have the load_ipython_extension function. The documentation [1]
doesn't give any suggestion that it's optional, and as far as I know,
all the extensions available so far do define it.

[1] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html

Thanks,
Thomas