[IPython-User] PLEASE make autosave standard

Francesco Montesano franz.bergesund@gmail....
Wed Oct 31 06:20:56 CDT 2012

Hi Tom,

I agree that autosave would be great.

2012/10/31 Tom <tmbdev@gmail.com>:
> I just lost an hour of work again because Chrome and iPython notebooks
> conspire against me.
>
> iPython notebooks take forever to complete when there is a lot of output.
> This is really a problem by itself.  Saving iPython notebooks requires
> navigating with the mouse to click on a tiny button somewhere at the top;
> this is distracting and interrupts work.  There is no keyboard shortcut.

Anyway. There is a keyboard shortcut to save Ctrl+M S ( at least in
Ipython 0.13). (It seems that on Chromium in Kubuntu also Ctrl+S
saves)

If I remember well, sometimes ago someone sent a mail here about a
plugin for autosave the notebook he wrote.
You can also read here for a solution:
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2012-March/009782.html

> Chrome compounds the problem by popping up a dialog box every few seconds
> asking whether I want to kill the page (and hence lose all my data) or
> continue.  Chrome also lacks any option to interrupt JavaScript without
> losing the entire page.  (I think Firefox has other problems, which is why I
> don't use it.)
>
> Asking me to confirm throwing away hours of work that are on the screen and
> in memory and should be trivially savable really adds insult to injury.
> It's a conspiracy of multiple usability problems in iPython and Chrome, any
> of which should be easy to fix for the developers.
>
> Tom

Cheers,
Francesco